About the Practical Course
Each passing year unveils new and path-breaking developments in various aspects of applications of cryo-EM in structural biology, which needs to reach the user community. The practical course features not only intensive training for the participants, but also includes research talks, discussions, and brain-storming sessions on the use of cryo-EM to address difficult biological questions, which will help the participants address their research problems. The course will be an essential component of the various activities occurring periodically in capacity building and future developments in cryo-EM.
The EMBO practical courses on cryo-EM image processing have been organized in India since 2018 (alternate years), which has introduced and provided training to PhD students and postdoctoral fellows from all over the globe on the emerging areas of cryo-EM that have revolutionized structural biology.
The course will be of interest to researchers working in the fields of cell and molecular biology, structure determination of macromolecular complexes, theoretical/computational biology. The course is aimed at participants at the levels of students, postdoctoral researchers, and principal investigators from academic institutions or industry, who would like to apply cryo-EM in their scientific research mainly related to biological problems.
- To impart training in state-of-the-art techniques for structure determination using cryo-EM
- Introduction to the best sample preparation and data collection strategies (including hands-on experience of sample preparation and demonstration of remote data collection)
- Training in basic principles of structure determination using cryo-EM, including single particle analysis, helical reconstruction and tomography applications
- Hands-on practical training in the latest software suites for image processing of electron micrographs for high resolution structure determination and tomography application
- Exposure to the latest scientific advances in the field through research talks from eminent researchers from across the globe
- Developing problem solving skills through brainstorming sessions, panel discussions and independent practice sessions on participant's data in the presence of experts in the field
- Networking with experts, software developers, and researchers for gaining exposure to the global status of the research in cryo-EM and learn of not only the latest but also upcoming developments
About EMBO Courses and Workshops
EMBO Courses and Workshops are selected for their excellent scientific quality and timeliness, provision of good networking activities for all participants and speaker gender diversity (at least 40% of speakers must be female).
Organisers are encouraged to implement measures to make the meeting environmentally more sustainable.