BioMedical Center (BMC)
Ludwig-Maximilians University (LMU) Munich
Grosshaderner Str. 9
Participants will need to book and to arrange their own accommodation.
Delegates stay at the Campus At Home, IZB Hotel, a limited number of rooms are available for other participants. Please mention the “EMBO Workshop on Histone Variants” when making the reservation.
- Campus At Home, IZB Hotel (website)
Additional hotels near the venue are:
Suggestions for accommodations convenient to the BMC
Hotels in Großhadern (walking/bus distance to BMC, U-bahn access):
- Hotel Thalmair Heiglhofstr. 3 81377 Munich, Single room: 92€ double room: 120€ 3-bed-room: 150€ 4-bed-room: 180€ Incl. breakfast, 1 room fully barrier free; via bus: 10 min, walking distance to BMC: about 26 min. http://hotel-thalmair.de/
- Hotel Neumayr Heiglhofstr. 18 81377 Munich, single room: 92€ double room: 115€, incl. breakfast, 1 room fully barrier free; via Bus: 13 min, walking distance to BMC: about 26 min. www.hotel-neumayr.de
- Empress Hotel Würmtalstr. 99 81375 Munich, single room: 77€ double room: 109€, incl. breakfast, basement garage: 8,00 €; via bus: 15 min walking distance to BMC: about 28 min. http://www.empress-hotel.de/
Hotels in Munich along the U6 (U-bahn, subway):
- Hotel Am Siegestor, Ludwigstrasse 28, Single room: 52€ Double room: 70-92€, http://www.siegestor.com/
- Hotel Brack, Hohenzollernstrasse 5, Single room: 69€ Double room: 89€, http://www.hotel-brack.de/index_e.html
- Carat Hotel, Lindwurmstrasse 13, Single room: 79€ Double room: 99€, http://www.carat-hotel-muenchen.de/en/welcome.php
- Smart Stay Hostel Munich City, Mozartstraße 4, 4-bed room: 20€/person, http://munichcity.smart-stay.de/en/
- Hotel Exquisit, Pettenkoferstrasse 3, Single room: 155€ Double room: 195€, http://www.hotel-exquisit.com/en/
- Hotel Herzog, Häberlstrasse 9, Single room: 52-68€ Double room: 70-106€, https://en.hotel-herzog-muenchen.com/
- Hotel Greiner, Ohmstraße 12, Single room: 62€ Double room: 80€, http://www.pensiongreiner.de/kontakt.htm
- Hotel Westfalia, Mozartstrasse 23, Single room: 55€ Double room: 75€ Triple room: 95€, http://www.pension-westfalia.de/bed-breakfast-munich/
Given prices are approximate and might vary. Please confirm prices with the hotel.
How to get to the BMC
from the highway Autobahn A9 Nürnberg: Take exit Mittlerer Ring West (A99) direction "Lindau / Garmisch". Once A99 intersects with Autobahn Lindau (A96), follow A96 direction "München Zentrum / Garmisch". Take exit 36b "Gräfelfing", and immediately turn left at the first traffic light. Follow right-of-way traffic through the industrial park to the next traffic light. Turn left onto "Würmtalstraße" (direction "Großhadern"). Then turn right after approx. 1.5 km, following signs to "Max-Planck-Institute" and the Biomedizisches Centrum. Visitor parking is located directly on the right. The BMC is the first large new (green-tiled) building on the right.
from Munich city center: Follow the ring road (Mittlerer Ring) direction "Lindau". Take the highway A96 towards Lindau. Leave the highway at exit 37 "Blumenau" direction Hadern/Großhadern. Turn left onto "Waldwiesenstrasse" and after 950m turn right onto "Würmtalstrasse". Follow the road for 1.2 km before turning left into "Am Klopferspitz". For parking, use the large public parking lot located on the right. The BMC is the first large new (green-tiled) building on the right.
from the highway A8 from Stuttgart follow the A99 towards "Garmisch-P./Lindau/Schweiz". At the interchange "Dreieck München-Süd-West" stay in the left lane and follow the signs "A99 Garmisch-P./München-Sendling/München-Zentrum". Leave the highway at exit 37 "Blumenau" direction Hadern/Großhadern. Turn right onto "Waldwiesenstrasse" and after 950m turn right onto "Würmtalstrasse". Follow the road for 1.2 km before turning left into "Am Klopferspitz". For parking use the large public parking area on your right. The BMC is the new large green-tiled building on right.
from the highway A95 from Garmisch-Patenkirchen or from the A8 from Salzburg enter the ring road ("Mittlerer Ring") and turn left at the Luise-Kiselbach Platz onto "Waldfriedhofstrasse". Follow this road for 4.2 km via "Würmtalstrasse". After passing through Großhadern, turn left at the traffic lights directing to "Max-Planck-Institute" onto "Am Klopferspitz". Visitor parking is located directly on the right. The BMC is the first large new (green-tiled) building on the right.
by train and public transportation
When arriving at Munich Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) by train take the subway line U-bahn 1 or 2 (U1: direction "Mangfallplatz"; U2: direction "Messestadt Ost") and get off at "Sendlinger Tor". From "Sendlinger Tor" take the subway line U6 towards "Klinikum Großhadern" and get off at its final stop "Klinikum Großhadern". Exit the subway station following signs to bus line 266. Take the bus line 266 towards "Planegg" and get off at the stop "LMU Martinsried". Follow signs to BMC.
U-bahns to and from "Klinikum Großhadern" run every 10 min. The bus line 266 runs every 10 min. Total travel time to the BMC from the Hauptbahnhof is approx. 40 min.
Arrive at Munich International Airport (MUC). If you want to proceed by public transportation, take the S-Bahn (S1 or S8) to "Marienplatz" and change to the U-bahn line U6 towards "Klinikum Großhadern". Get off at its final stop "Klinikum Großhadern", exit following signs to the bus line 266. Take bus 266 towards "Planegg" and get off at the stop "LMU Martinsried". Follow signs to BMC.
It will take you about 40 minutes to reach the city center from the airport and another 25 minutes to get to the BMC. Public transportation fare is €10.80 one way.
Taxi fare is at least €50 from the airport to the city center.
About the Area
The Biomedical Center (BMC)
The newly constructed Biomedical Center on the LMU Campus in Martinsried accommodates eight research institutes from the pre-clinical, theoretical and clinical domains of the Medical Faculty. The research at the BMC on the overarching theme of Plasticity of Cellular Programmes is carried out by some 60 groups representing working in the realms of molecular and cell biology, biochemistry and biophysics, physiology, immunology and neuroimmunology. Some of the BMC research topics deal with fundamental aspects of the genetic and epigenetic regulation of gene expression programmes, chromosome dynamics, stability and repair, as well as stem cell biology and differentiation. On the more applied side, the efforts focus on neurodegeneration and –regeneration, multiple sclerosis, synaptic plasticity, immunity, tolerance and inflammation and cardiovascular physiology.
The Life Science Campus
The greater Munich area is the most important region for biotechnology in Germany, and is leading in Europe. Munich hosts more than 300 life science companies, the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich (LMU), the Technical University Munich (TUM), several Max Planck Institutes (MPI) and the Helmholtz Zentrum München – German Research Centre for Environmental Health.
The Life Science Campus Grosshadern/Martinsried, located in the southwest of Munich, is a growing and vibrant areal offering an exceptional density of research institutions and biotechnology companies. The close proximity of the Faculties of Medicine, Biology and Biochemistry, the Gene Center, the Helmholtz Zentrum München and the Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry promotes close cooperations.
Home of the Oktoberfest, FC Bayern München, BMW and the Blaue Reiter
The official website of the city of Munich is www.muenchen.de, where you can find information about the cultural life in Munich and a link to the tourist information.
More links that might be useful: